Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fall 2011 Fashion?

Well, after a very long hiatus, I've returned to my blog.  Over the past months, many things have happened which have led to my absence.  First, I have not finished my book. I've gotten quite far, but I underestimated how intense and difficult writing can be. In May, I had back surgery. It was an old accident and I feel so much better. And finally, my younger sister was diagnosed with adrenal cancer.  Obviously, the last incident has kind of rocked my world.  With future blogs I may touch on this issue, but for now I want to focus on the fashion.  It grounds me in this upside down, crazy world.

I have also been writing for the online magazine, Glamazon Diaries.  It was a fun gig and people were extremely supportive, but I've decided to bring my writings and my ideas back to my blog.


So where to began in this new era?  Well, I thought I'd begin with fall fashions, or lack thereof. Every year I get super excited for fall.  I mean how can you beat those huge magazines that come to you in mid-August filled with all the new trends?  The cherry on top of fall fashion is the Nordstrom Anniversary sale.  New fall trends that are on sale? Sign me up!  However looking at the fall fashions online and in magazines, I'm perplexed.  I'm not seeing any real trends that get my fashion motor running.  Tribal, western, lace, plaid all over?  I'm not excited about any of it.  It appears overly costumy, and a weak repeat of the 70's trend that has taken over fashion lately.  The spring was full of cool boho chic styles: high waist flare pants, color blocking, and flowy maxi skirts and dresses.  These were fun, flirty pieces that could be made beautiful.  But these trends? Nada.  This has got to be one of the first fall's where I don't purchase a lot of items (which of course my husband loves).

One ray of light from the fall shows had to be Sarah Burton's collection for Alexander McQueen.  Since the tragic death of this icon, Ms. Burton has given his line a feminine touch that melds seamlessly with McQueen's punk, gothic standard.  From McQueen's display at the Met to the design of Kate Middleton's wedding dress by Sarah Burton, they can't help but be fashion's stand out leader.


Her feminine designs make my fashion blood boil.  And perhaps when my September issue finds me in the mail I'll change my mind, but for now I'll have to be satisfied with my summer closet.

1 comment:

  1. I love Alexander McQueen and I'm so glad someone with amazing talent took over so the line wouldn't die!! I especially LOVE the softness of the first look and the dominatrix-esque feel of the second look!! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete