Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Are You a Real Fashionista?

The end of August.  A fashionista's prime time, right?  Who amongst you was the child who dreamed about school clothes shopping and then lined up multiple versions of outfits on your bed for the first day of school? An isn't there an entire movie dedicated to September magazine issues? I mean I've already gotten about six magazines.  Not only do all of them boast how many pages there are on the cover, but I can't look at them in the tub or when exercising because they are either too heavy to hold or too large for the magazine holder on my aerobic equipment.  They are essentially the year's fashion Bible. Around this time I spend probably more money on clothes and beauty products than I do all year combined.  Needless to say I call myself a fashionista.  I think I've earned the right.  But the real question is, am I a real fashionista
Anna Wintour, Editor in Chief, Vogue



I mean I'm not in the fashion business.  I did not go to fashion school. In fact, I've never taken any course in fashion or styling.  Truthfully, I almost failed art because I can't draw at all and I don't know how to sew. I've made tons of fashion mistakes.  I missed pronounced "Louboutin" and "Lanvin".  I don't know a lot about technical side designing.  I once commented about the great blog ,The Satorialist and called him a woman, when clearly he is a man, Scott Shuman. When I read Vogue, I can occasionally feel like Alice going down the rabbit hole, is there a secret world that I'm missing due to my lack of understanding? Sometimes I look at the photos and think WTF, this is hot?  I've gone outside of the house wearing sweatpants, and no, I wasn't going to the gym.
Italian Vogue

I've committed a slew of fashion mistakes and proud to say learned from all of those.  I've matured and look at more classical pieces instead of trendy ones when shopping. I look at fit more and get my clothes tailored. To my credit I am now able to look at clothing and shoes in pictures and know what designer they are from. And finally, when I look at Alexander McQueen I have a fashion orgasm.

But the question still remains, am I a real fashionista?  Well, that all depends on your definition of one. Webster defines one as, a designer, promotor, or follower of the latest fashions.  According to Webster, I am, under the "follower of the latest fashions".  However, those in the fashion industry might disagree.  I imagine standing in a room anywhere in any high rise in NYC and getting nastier looks than Anne Hathaway in The Devil Wears Prada.

French Vogue, June 2009
However, in my own world, people like my clothes. I've had students tell me they are now going to fashion school, because my style inspired them. I've had total strangers walk up and tell me they love certain items that I am wearing.  I think I stand out in a crowd of plain chinos, polo shirts, and terrible shoes (there seems to be more of those out there than anything I see!) In my heart I'm a fashionista, and that's all that really matters.  I mean in the scheme of life are you really going to look back and be upset at yourself for a mispronunciation or look at a photo and not get it? No, you aren't.  You are going to feel proud about standing out for being you and having fun with your clothes.

Fashion fades, only style remains the same. ~Coco Chanel

3 comments:

  1. You are definitely a fashionista in my opinion, and I think the qualities you mention above (classic pieces, sweatpants etc) make you a better kind of fashionista because you aren't a slave to trends!

    http://www.shopstyle.co.uk/users/JulesB
    http://baileyblush.blogspot.com/

    Love your blog, you write so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me smile with your fashion mistakes.....I've mispronounced Givenchy a time or two. I wonder this question often myself - I love fashion but it seems the more I learn the more I realize I don't know very much. But no matter your interests, there will probably always be those who know more and claim you're not a 'real' whatever. But I agree with Jules and the late great Ms. Chanel - you've got style, and no one can teach that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fashionista is someone who understands her style and wears it with confidence. Learning the text book ground rules is certainly important but it is not what makes up a fashionista. You either have it or you do not, and you HL, you definetly have it!!

    Legally brunette
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete