Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Retail Therapy

What a difference a few weeks make, just like the US Stock Market, I feel like my life is in a free fall.  Forget about bad news, try dealing with tragic news.  Trust me folks, life is short, precious, random, and unfair.  No specifics are needed, the older I get (my birthday was August 1st), I've come to terms with this reality.

Vogue Italia, February 2011
Yet it's August and fall fashion is in full swing.  I need to put my head down and keep going as a wife and mother.  Despite not being thrilled with some of the fall trends, this is always a great time to do some retail therapy.  Shopping either online or in the stores is relaxing to many a fashionista.
So folks open your mind to the simple fact that many people use shopping as their own personal Dr. Freud. I know I do, and nothing beats a great shopping run.

Miu Miu Resort 2012
The first stop on my fall shopping tour is Asos.  Since Asos opened up the world's largest wardrobe to us Americans, I've gone on countless shopping sprees. As we speak I have over 15 pieces saved in "my items", including three purses, all of them with bold and bright colors, something I'm loving for fall. This is one of the first fall seasons where colors continue to be bright and bold. These colors continue all year spilling into the 2012 RTW and Resort collections of designers. Both Miu Miu and Preen's are filled with the brightest ROY G BIV items you've seen! On my list from Asos are their "midi" dresses and skirts, they have amazing ones in bold oranges, pinks, and blues. And remember Asos ships (and returns) for free, with no sales tax.

Next on my quest are some items for work. Some places I've opened my mind to are Talbots and Ann Taylor .  Honestly I'm such an eclectic woman, that shopping at these classic places has given me a new found appreciation for inexpensive, but still relatively cool finds, including camel wide leg pants, a pink wrap dress, and a white blazer.

Rachel Zoe RTW 2011 Collection
Jcrew, Gap, Piperlime, and Nordstrom are my main shopping staples, mostly online. As a mom of two, online shopping is totally addicting.  Some new designers on the horizon like Rachel Zoe are exciting, and her collection is pretty cool, but in my mind too expensive and her pantsuit looks exactly like the Marc by Marc Jacobs one.

Marc by Marc Jacobs Fall 2011 Collection
Every fall I buy approximately at least three blouses, two pairs of pants, three pairs of jeans, three skirts, a blazer, five new pairs of shoes, one-two purses, and possibly coat. Honestly, it all depends on the state of my affairs and how much retail therapy I really need. This year it's lots.  However, I always believe if something goes in the closet, something must come out.  If I feel like an item might go in and out of fashion, like a jean jacket, I'll store it.  If not, off to Goodwill it goes.

Shopping like this allows my brain to travel, to go somewhere else.  A world of colors, patterns, mixing and matching is a form of art therapy.  I can do it from the comfort of my house and couch, while watching my children play and possibly catch an episode of Entourage.

No matter what life tragedy you are facing, realize you are not alone. In my own, I've discovered through others that they too face some pile of shit.  It's just a matter of how much shit is on each of our shit sundae, some of us just have more shit scoops than others.  The key is to remember to focus on the things that make you happy while you eat it. Fashion, shopping, and clothes to do it for me.  I encourage everyone to find theirs, because eating shit sucks.

Michelle Williams, UK Vogue April 2011
Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.
~Benjamin Franklin

3 comments:

  1. You are just so amazing, Rebecca! Love your writing. This is the first time I'm reading you blog, and I must say I love your way of conveying what's on your mind! It's true. Everyone carry their own pile of shit, and we do need something to distract us from that pile some times. To think positivly for a while, and get your mind on to something else. I do it with fashion as you do, but also with exercise and going out taking photos - photograping is one of my passions :) Hope you're okay, you seem like the sweetest person ever, and deserves the best. Love, Celine (styleisthat on ShopStyle.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the items that you chose and no surprise there,you are a Fashionista and have an eye for amazing outfits.

    Life is sometimes unfair and we don't always know the whys and it seems like at that moment we are undone but there is always a rainbow after the storm.You are a great inspiration to a lot of women out there Rebecca and you are loved by many all around the world,so it will be alright maybe not today or tomorrow or even in a few years but you will be ok.Love you to pieces.

    Nice blog by the way.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too deal with all life's stressors by shopping or blogging about Fashion or creating looks on ShopStyle. I find myself spending more and more time doing these things because they make me happy and that's all that matters right! Your article was lovely! http://bresbaubles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete